9.5 miles walked today
1237 miles walked in total (10.483 average)
I woke this morning at 7.10 am as my 'phone was ringing. I answered it, but there was no-one there, so, seeing it was a London number and assuming it must be work, I switched the 'phone off and went back to sleep for an hour. (It turned out to be Andy, ringing to say he was on the move to Mosul today - wish I'd got to speak to him.)
I was staggering up the hill out of Porthtowan shortly before ten. It was so cold and blustery today and there weren't many people about. Within an hour I was at Chapel Porth having a hot chocolate, as recommended by one of the craft shop ladies in St Agnes yesterday - it was fantastic too! There was a surfer in the sea at Chapel Porth and the waves were enormous.
It was quite a struggle to get going again and the path was very indistinct as I climbed up to Tubby's Head past Wheal Coates. It wasn't so much that I couldn't see the path; it was more to do with seeing half a dozen paths and not knowing which was the correct one.
In fact, it's been a bit like that all day - the signage is a big haphazard. There'll be a sign in the middle of a very obvious path pointing forwards, but, at a junction of paths, there'll be no signs at all - very frustrating. I may have to write a letter ...
I carried on past St Agnes Head and Newdowns Head and headed downhill to Trevaunance Cove and its tearoom. It had only taken me an hour from Chapel Porth, but I was very cold so I stopped and had a cup of tea.
I had another up and down to Trevellas Coombe and the Blue Hills engine house. I'm not sure how I managed it, but I then did a bit of walking along an airfield runway! I didn't hang about there, but quickly got back to the path at Hanover Cove. As I walked along, I saw lots of cone shaped structures capping disused mine shafts. They're made of mesh so bats can get in and out to nest.
At Cligga Head, I lost my sense of humour - I was so cold and everything was hurting. And I saw a notice, "no access to pedestrians - sewage works in progress". Not only had there been no warning, but there was no alternative route either. I did a quick recce to see who was about and, on spotting no workmen types, I jumped over the fence, hopped over a couple of lengths of pipe, scaled a wall and was on my way. Very naughty.
It was another down then into Perranporth before an up the other side over sand dunes and through the golf course to our caravan at Gear Sands.
Today has definitely been the toughest day of the week - so cold and blustery. The sea foam was blowing so hard that it was coming up on to the cliffs.
Still, every little helps. Can't believe everything hurts though!
No comments:
Post a Comment