11 miles walked today
1227.5 miles walked in total (10.491 average)
Today I was striding out before ten o'clock. It was very grey and quite cold. I got chatting to the National Trust Warden at Godrevy Point about the grey seals at Navax Point. We counted thirty of them at the beach. Apparently, the babies are due any minute, but none had arrived yet although the Warden was keeping an eye on them.
The walk away from the clifftops was quite level and easy to walk on. At Hell's Mouth, I got very hot - how appropriate! - and stripped off a layer, wishing I'd packed suntan lotion as I could feel my face burning. I strode across Hudder Down, Reskajeage Downs and Carvannel Down - big hills! - and intro Portreath.
It started to get quite blustery and cold then so I was glad to get my hands round a mug of steaming coffee there! I stopped for lunch at Portreath and was pleased to see I was making good time and my estimated time of arrival of 3.00 pm at Porthtowan was looking promising.
From Portreath, the coat was back on and I had an immediate climb on roads up to the daymark before getting back out onto proper footpaths. Although today has been harder, it's much more interesting than plodding on roads which I've had to do the last couple of days.
Sam and I walked the south west coast path from Newquay to Falmouth twelve years ago. I've managed to put most of it out of my mind, but I'd remembered the nightmare steps at Sally's Bottom! For the four miles between Portreath and Porthtowan, the Nancekuke fence encloses MOD land and the Royal Engineers have installed two sets of steps on the steep slopes along here. What a nightmare! Although all credit goes to the sterling workmanship of the military.
Porthtowan was a funny little place - I should imagine it's really bleak in the winter. Mum and I decided yesterday that we'd have a paddle today but it was too cold for that. So, after a quick mooch round, it was off in the car to St Agnes for a beer.
Very good day - changeable weatherwise, but the mileage is still looking good.
No comments:
Post a Comment